Alaska Satellite Facility: making remote-sensing data accessible
Making Remote-Sensing Data Accessible
ASF is part of the Geophysical Institute of the University of Alaska Fairbanks.
- ASF downlinks, processes, archives, and distributes remote-sensing data to scientific users around the world.
- ASF promotes, facilitates, and participates in the advancement of remote sensing to support national and international Earth science research, field operations, and commercial applications.
- ASF commits to provide the highest quality data and services in a timely manner.
Distributed Active Archive Center (DAAC): ASF operates the NASA archive of synthetic aperture radar (SAR) data from a variety of satellites and aircraft, providing these data and associated specialty support services to researchers in support of NASA’s Earth Science Data and Information System (ESDIS) project.
ASF 25 year Timeline
Want to join ASF?
Search, view, and apply for University of Alaska vacancies.
UA is an AA/EO employer and educational institution and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual.
Planning to visit ASF?
Directions from Fairbanks International Airport to the Alaska Satellite Facility, West Ridge Research Building:
- Take AIRPORT WAY NORTHEAST from the airport. If you depart from the rental car parking lot at the airport, the exit will funnel you onto AIRPORT WAY. If you depart from in front of the terminal, bear left at the first intersection, bear right at the second intersection, and you will end up on AIRPORT WAY.
- Merge onto the southbound entrance, via the ramp on the left, to the ROBERT MITCHELL EXPRESSWAY/AK-3 S/INTERSTATE A3, toward Denali National Park/Nenana.
- Take the GEIST RD/CHENA PUMP RD exit.
- Turn RIGHT onto GEIST RD, get into the LEFT land (you have time to do this).
- Turn LEFT onto THOMPSON DRIVE at the stop light. Continue straight until you reach the traffic circle.
- Take second RIGHT from the traffic circle up the obvious hill (Tanana Loop Road). Continue straight on Tanana Loop Road. At the very top of the hill, there is a ski hut (it‘ll be on your left).
- Turn LEFT onto the road after the ski hut. The Akasofu building will be on your right. This road takes you to the PARKING LOT behind the Akasofu building and the West Ridge Research Building (WRRB). This parking lot is a UAF Parking Decal Required lot, with a kiosk that dispenses parking permits for a fee. PLEASE DO NOT PARK IN RESERVED SPOTS.
- Enter the WRRB entrance. Bear LEFT after entering the building, then go straight down the hallway. The Alaska Satellite Facility main administrative offices are in the WRRB, suite 105.